There is a myth in our industry that smart, ambitious advisors have to work with High Net Worth clients or they can’t consider themselves successful. I take exception to that idea! Here's why:
We can and should build a business that suits our strengths and is built around working with the people we enjoy. Some people find joy in working with High Net Worth clients and thrive on the competition and the deep collaboration with CPAs and attorneys. And while I do think that there are other ways of interacting with clients, I'm not advocating a pro-bono business model; if your business cannot pay the bills and propel you to your definition of success, it is not a business model. It's a non-profit organization.
Now I'd like to share with you why I'm proud to be a mass affluent advisor:
1. My work makes a difference. I change lives and potentially the trajectory of a family and help them with decisions that will benefit them in the future.
2. I'm really good at it! I understand my clients and I make a big impact without constantly reinventing the wheel.
3. There is very little competition. There are “advisors” working with HNW families, but most of them are not delivering what I am delivering. I can really stand out against the competition.
4. They don’t require a lot of time. HNW clients know what they are paying and expect you to jump when they need something. Mass affluent clients require less energy.
5. If I lose one, the world doesn’t end. I lose very, very few clients, but I don’t fear losing them either. No one client makes up more than 5% of my revenue. So…I can run the business that I want to run and if one gets away…no big deal!
6. I have built a really nice business working with mass affluent families. My primary driver is not money. So, if you are looking to max profit, maybe mass affluent clients aren’t for you. But if you want a good work/life balance and the freedom that comes with it, they can really be a fantastic market! Using the Client Service Model I teach through The Intentional Advisor, I have built enough annual recurring revenue to pay all of my overhead, including my own basic salary. There is so much freedom in knowing that money will never be an issue. And because of that freedom and surplus time I was able to follow my passion and build The Intentional Advisor.
I believe that there will be a huge demand for mass affluent advisors in the future. One of the issues that our industry will have to solve has to do with the millennial problem and the industry not knowing how to serve people that don’t already have a lot of money. The world and the next generation needs advisors that have figured out how to make a good living serving those people.
So, if you are like me, I hope you proudly proclaim yourself a mass affluent advisor! And if you aren’t that is just fine too! At the Intentional Advisor, we are here to help you build the business you want to own and find with clients that inspire you!
If you have any questions or feedback, please email me at email@example.com.